Please Vote! Ballots Due Friday, Sept. 15 at Noon
The Johnson County Election Office will mail out ballots to all registered voters within Merriam city limits on Aug. 25, 2017. The Election Office must receive all ballots by noon on Sept. 15, 2017, to be counted in the official election results. Ballots can be mailed in the pre-paid envelope provided or dropped off at the Johnson County Election Office; 2101 E. Kansas City Road; Olathe, KS; 66061. The deadline to register to vote in this election is Friday, Aug. 25. Additional information about voting and filling out the ballot can be found at www.jocoelection.org.
A YES Vote Means:
- City will build a new $30 million community center at Vavra Park with indoor and outdoor pools
- $24 million will be paid in bonds; $6 million is already budgeted
- A new one-quarter percent sales tax will take effect for 10 years to help cover the bond payment
A NO Vote Means:
- City plans to repair/renovate the Irene B. French Community Center and Merriam Aquatic Center for an estimated $20 million
- City will likely use $10 million in bonds; remaining balance paid with CIP fund
- Absence of new revenue source (sales tax) means higher annual bond payment for City
- Still have 100+ year-old building that doesn’t meet our community’s needs
Shall the City of Merriam, Kansas be authorized to: (1) issue general obligation bonds in a principal amount of not to exceed $24,000,000 to pay costs to construct certain parks and recreation capital improvements, including but not limited to construction of a new facility that will be used as a community center and aquatics center (the "New Community Center"), and to pay associated financing costs; and (2) impose a one-quarter percent (0.25%) Citywide retailers' sales tax to commence on January 1, 2018, or as soon thereafter as permitted by law and terminate ten (10) years after its commencement, the proceeds of which shall be used to pay the costs of the New Community Center and debt service on general obligation bonds issued to finance the New Community Center; all pursuant to the provisions of K.S.A. 10-101 et seq., K.S.A. 12-187 et seq., K.S.A. 12-1301 et seq., K.S.A. 12-1736 et seq. and K.S.A. 25-431 et seq., as amended?